Curtin Malaysia Campus shut down until end of MCO
|FAQs||Contacts for Enquiries||Back to COVID-19 Home|
In compliance with the Movement Control Order (MCO) being imposed by the Government across Malaysia, the Curtin Malaysia Campus is shut down for the duration of the MCO. The current fifth phase of the MCO is in force until 9 June 2020.
Movement Control Orders announced by the Government of Malaysia since the COVID-19 pandemic outbreak:
Phase 1: 18 March 2020 – 31 March 2020
Phase 2: 1 April 2020 – 14 April 2020
Phase 3: 15 April 2020 – 28 April 2020
Phase 4: 29 April 2020 – 12 May 2020
Phase 5: 13 May 2020 – 9 June 2020 (CMCO-Conditional Movement Control Order)
How this will affect various facilities and services is detailed below.
- On-campus resident students can continue to live in their units as per normal with certain restrictions, some of which are outlined below. They are also expected to practice the highest standards of hygiene and social distancing at all times. That includes not congregating in groups in rooms or common areas.
- Access to the campus during the period will be severely restricted to only essential staff and suppliers of essential goods. On-campus resident students are restricted to the campus. However, staff and non-resident students will be allowed onto the campus for very limited periods if valid reasons are given, such as to collect essential work materials or handle critical matters. Stringent security and health checks will be carried out on everyone entering the campus.
- All non-essential staff are working from home during this period.
- Security staff will remain on duty and be on high alert. They will conduct stringent screening of persons entering the campus including noting their particulars and taking temperature scans at the main gate.
- The ICT Department will maintain a team of essential staff on-site to ensure ICT services continue to operate, including computer servers, learning platforms (Blackboard and Moodle), email services and campus website, as well as Internet access for on-campus residents. ICT will ensure that all students’ email accounts are activated so they may access their student webmails and online resources.
- The Campus Shuttle service has been suspended for the duration of the shutdown. However, transport will be provided for students in university-managed housing off-campus for urgent business on campus only, or in case of emergencies. Student resident on-campus can also make use of the transport for emergencies. If you are in need of the transport, call the Campus Security Hotlines at 085-630081 or 085-630082.
- The Campus Food Court will be closed but the Lakeside Cafeteria will remain open but for takeaways only. Students visiting the cafeteria are advised to ensure they do not enter if there is a crowd and to practice social distancing when inside.
- The on-campus supermarket (GK Mart) will remain open and will stock additional essential items, including pre-packed fresh produce for the benefit of on-campus residents. Staff will also assist them with off-campus purchases of groceries, if needed.
- The Mail & Courier Room will operate with one staff member for limited hours only for urgent matters.
- Housekeeping staff from Campus Services will continue the intensive cleaning and sanitising of student commons, public areas and on-campus accommodations, as well as university-managed student housing at Curtin Water and Curtin Villa. Technicians will also be on-site to ensure essential services continue to operate normally.
- As all gatherings, meetings and activities involving groups of people are to be cancelled, the Recreation & Event Centre (including the gym), The Library (including student commons) and the Islamic Centre will be closed. It goes without saying that all classrooms, lecture theatres, laboratories and other learning and teaching areas will be inaccessible, except selected laboratories for ongoing projects where access will be closely monitored.
- All scheduled events and activities over the next two weeks have been postponed or cancelled, including the Sem 2 Club Fair.
- Housing Services staff will essentially be working from home but will be available to assist students with urgent housing needs between 10am and 11am on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- At Student Central, the Admissions and Enrolment counters will be closed but there will be an emergency roster between 10am and 11am on Tuesdays and Thursdays to deal with urgent matters or emergencies. Related online systems will also continue to operate. Students can make enquiries or seek assistance during these times but are requested to visit individually and practice social distancing with others when in the premises.
- Airport Reception Service (ARS) will be available for any incoming students.
- The University Life team will be working remotely and will conduct the Foundation Orientation online on 23 March 2020. They will communicate with the new students on registering and participating in the Online Orientation. They will also work with other areas to assist incoming Foundation students with online class registration and other related matters.
- All Faculty staff will be working remotely. Faculty staff will advise their students of possible postponement of assessments, provide necessary guidance on accessing online resources, and update them on any changes to the ongoing online teaching. For degree students in particular, their respective HODs will contact them regarding exams scheduled in the next two weeks, and Foundation students will be provided essential information by their coordinators via Moodle.
- Special arrangements will be made for final-year students to access laboratories to monitor their projects. The staff in charge will produce a roster for access and notify the students individually.
- Students will still have access to all The Library’s online resources and library staff are available online.
- The Health Centre will continue to operate and provide the usual health and counselling services.
This will be a testing time for all of us, so please exercise calm and patience. All students and staff should continue to follow relevant health advice and practice social distancing at all times.